EC Motors and Controllers
EC Motors are a proven, main stream technology and have been studied extensively throughout the US. This technology is employed within the refrigeration industry in order to reduce energy consumption at the evaporator fans in walk-in coolers and freezers.
7 Reasons to use ECMTEK Motors
1. High Efficiency: A big advantage of EC motors is that they are significantly more efficient when compared to AC motors. EC motors maintain a high level (65 to 90 percent depending on size) of efficiency at a variety of speeds. This is not true for AC motors operated on variable frequency drives. As a result, ECM’s are cost and energy efficient and can reduce operating costs. In most cases they use from less than one third to one half of the electricity used by traditional induction motors used in HVAC applications.
2. Ease of Control: ECM’s are DC motors that function using a built-in inverter and a magnet rotor (no external VFD). The motor’s operation is simply controlled by software allowing customers to optimize and integrate the motor, fan and controller with the application. Features like data communications, constant volume control and variable speed control are simple to integrate.
3. Low Operating Temperatures: EC motors’ high efficiency also means that the motors run “cool”, and dramatically reduce the amount of waste heat produced.
4. Extended Life: Motor life of the ECM is extended due to its low operating temperature operation. ECM’s are also relatively low-maintenance; the use of true ball bearings reduces the need for oiling, and varied start-up speeds reduce stress on mounting hardware. Less components, less trouble.
5. Quiet Operation: EC motors are also quieter than traditional inefficient motors.
6. Wider Operating Range: EC motors also have a wider operating range than traditional induction motors, which means that one EC motor can replace a number of induction motor models. In this way, the number of models required by a typical customer is significantly decreased, which decreases and simplifies inventory.
7. Compact footprint: EC motors have a reduced footprint. They provide a significant savings in design layout for units.